A fluffy biscuit still steaming from the oven is pretty high on our list of irresistible foods - especially when loaded with cheese or jalapenos or scallions. That's why when we went to create a spent grain version we opted instead of using it as a flour (which would weigh it down) to use it whole as a mix-in. The resulting biscuits are still light and fluffy with the scattered spent grain and cheddar adding just the right amount of chew.
Try splitting these biscuits and stuffing them with scrambled eggs and breakfast sausage.
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1 cup Dried Spent Grain
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, cold and cubed
- 1 cup cheddar, shredded
- 1 cup buttermilk, shaken
What You Need
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.
- Stir together flour, spent grain, baking powder and soda, and salt. Blend in butter with your fingers until mixture resembles a coarse meal. Stir in cheese until just combined. Add buttermilk and stir until just combined.
- Using a baking mat or a well buttered baking sheet drop dough into mounds (for more uniform biscuits use well buttered ring molds). Bake 15 minutes. Let cool slightly and enjoy!