We are no strangers to beer dip - it's often our favorite part of an appetizer spread (see Beer Cheese
, Beer & Onion Dip
or Beer & Artichoke Dip
for examples). Naturally, Beer Queso was next on the list to perfect - and our Jalapeño Saison
tops it off spectacularly. It's packed with delicious cheddar cheese and a touch of sour cream adds just enough sourness to balance out the dip's rich qualities. We love the consistency of this queso - it's creamy and smooth with some heat - and definitely beckons for continued chip-dipping. If you like a little more spice, add in another 1/2 habanero or jalapeño, or leave out the pepper all together for a more mild version.
What You Need
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup Jalapeño Saison (or another light flavorful beer)
- 1 habanero, split
- 2 cups cheddar, shredded
- 2 cups monterey jack, shredded
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/2 red onion, diced
- 1/2 bell pepped, diced
- 1/4 cup diced tomatos
- 1 jalapeño, diced
- 1 tablespoon chopped cilantro
What You Do
- Melt the butter over medium-low heat. Add in the flour and whisk to create a roux, about 1 minute. Add in heavy cream, beer and split habanero. Cook for 5 minutes (until roux starts to thicken) being careful not to boil. Remove pepper.
- Stir in cheese in thirds, letting each addition melt before adding the next. When cheese it fully melted, turn off heat and fold in sour cream.
- If serving immediately fold in diced vegetables, otherwise refrigerate cheese mixture separately and add vegetables in after reheating. Top with fresh cilantro. Enjoy!
We make all-grain beer brewing kits that make it easy to make beer at home. Whether it's your first batch or your hundredth.