Spent Grain Pasta
We got into making beer because we liked making things from scratch. A pasta machine was an early present from Stephen to Erica and we were amazed that with a few ingredients we already had on hand and a little time we could make the most delicious pasta ever.
When we realized that same logic could be applied to making beer we were hooked and our pasta maker found it's way to the bottom shelf.
The idea of incorporating spent grain into the flour had us dusting off the pasta maker and creating delightfully nutty noodles. Which (of course) tastes all the better washed down with a glass of beer.
WHAT YOU NEED
WHAT YOU DO
- Mound flour mixture in the center of your work surface (a wooden table or cutting board works great). Make a large well in the center of the mound (so it looks like a volcano). Break your eggs into the well and add your olive oil.
- Using your fingers (or a fork) break the yolks and and stir gently to start incorporating the flour. Keep stirring to incorporate the flour - and keep one hand at the base to maintain the mound shape. When dough starts to form knead to incorporate the rest of the flour.
- Once all flour in incorporated knead for an additional 6-8 minutes until dough is elastic.
- Cover in plastic wrap and let rest for 30 minutes at room temperature.
- Roll out and shape as you wish. Enjoy!
We make all-grain beer brewing kits that make it easy to make beer at home. Whether it's your first batch or your hundredth.