Spent Grain Cinnamon Apple Scones
We love apple season - it lets us know that Fall is on its way. And with Fall comes one of our favorite activities - apple picking. Made with spent grain flour, these scones are perfect for baking with the spoils from your trip upstate (or to the farmer's market). And as an added bonus, baking them makes your house smell amazing.
WHAT YOU NEED
- 1 3/4 cups all purpose flour
- 1 cup Spent Grain Flour
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 8 tablespoons (1 stick) cold butter, cubed
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup yogurt
- 1 medium apple, peeled, cored and chopped into 1/2" pieces
WHAT YOU DO
- Combine dry ingredients in mixing bowl. Blend in cold butter with your hands until the mixture resembles coarse meal.
- In a second mixing bowl, whisk egg and vanilla until light and fluffy.
- Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and stir to combine. Fold in yogurt and apples.
- Turn dough onto a floured surface and form into a rectangle (about 3" x 12"). Cut dough in half vertically, and then the halves in half forming 8 squares. Cut each square in half diagonally.
- Chill in freezer for 20 minutes. Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Bake for 25 minutes. Enjoy!
We make all-grain beer brewing kits that make it easy to make beer at home. Whether it's your first batch or your hundredth.