Brown Ale Tomato and Cannellini Bean Sauce
Tomato sauce isn't just for spaghetti and meatballs. When you incorporate fresh tomatoes with just enough liquid, you can make a tasty blend that can be served on top of crostini or as an hors d'oeuvre served with sturdy, crunchy crackers.
We used brown ale (specifically, Ithaca Beer Co.'s Nut Brown Ale) because ale, when reduced, adds a nice caramelization that gives the sauce a great nutty flavor boost and thickness. This dish serves two.
What You Need
- 1 pint grape tomatoes, quartered
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 small shallot, chopped
- 1/4 tsp. fresh thyme
- 1/4 c. brown ale
- 1/2 c. cannellini beans, drained
- 1/4 tsp. each salt and pepper
What You Do
- In a small saucepan over medium heat, add 2 tablespoons olive oil. Add garlic, shallots and thyme. Cook until softened and translucent, about 2 minutes.
- Stir in tomatoes and cook for another minute. Add beer. Increase heat and bring everything to a boil, then reduce heat, cover pan, and let simmer for 30 minutes until most of the liquid has reduced and sauce has thickened.
- Add cannellini beans and remove from heat. Serve immediately.