Recipe: Beer and Onion Dip
The rich and nutty taste of our Chestnut Brown Ale is the perfect complement to the caramelized onions in this scrumptious dip. We like to let the dip firm up in the fridge for a few hours before serving to let the beer and onion flavors really shine through, but it can certainly be served immediately if you can't wait. Dip is delicious with pretzels, chips, or your favorite crackers.
What You Need
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 1/4 cup beer (We used Chestnut Brown Ale)
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 (8-ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1 tablespoon mayonnaise
What You Do
- In a heavy bottom pot cook onions and butter over medium-high heat until caramelized, about 40 minutes.
- Stir in beer and let cook an additional 5 minutes until mostly absorbed. Salt and pepper.
- In a bowl whisk cream cheese, sour cream and mayonaise together until smooth. Fold in onions.
- Dip can be enjoyed right away but we like it even more after a couple hours in the fridge to let the flavors meld and dip firm up.