Beer & Bacon Brittle
The only thing better than filling your kitchen with the smell of beer is filling it with the scent of freshly cooked bacon. Just in case beer brittle wasn't enticing enough on its own, we've added pecans and bacon for an extra burst of flavor. We also include some cayenne pepper for an added kick.
Temperature control is very important to get the texture of the brittle just right, so have your candy thermometer handy when making this treat!
What You Need
- 1/4 cup beer (Chestnut Brown Ale pairs especially well)
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup corn syrup
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup pecans, chopped
- 6 slices of bacon, cooked until crispy and chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8-1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
What You Do
- Line a baking sheet with a baking mat or parchment paper and set aside. Combine bacon, pecans, salt and cayenne in a bowl and set aside.
- In a heavy-bottomed saucepan, combine beer, sugar, and corn syrup until well mixed. Over medium-high heat, bring mixture to 250 degrees F. without stirring. Add in butter and stir constantly until mixture reaches 320 degrees F.
- Remove from heat and quickly stir in the baking soda (mixture will foam up). Fold in nut and bacon mixture. Pour onto lined baking sheet and spread mixture out evenly.
- Let harden (and cool) completely, then break into pieces. Enjoy.