Recipe: Coconut Maple Porter Ice Cream
Summertime may not have officially arrived, but here in Brooklyn we're already sweating up a storm as temperatures climb near 100 degrees. Desperate for a delicious way to cool down, our brilliant beer chef has come up with this homemade ice cream recipe which combines our Chocolate Maple Porter with tropical coconut milk for a sweet treat to beat the heat. And you thought dark beer was the province of fall and winter alone...
What You Need
- 5 egg yolks
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 cup regular coconut milk
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
- 1 1/4 cup Chocolate Maple Porter (or any dark, delicious beer)
What You Do
- In a medium-sized thick-bottomed pot combine coconut milk, heavy cream, and beer and cook over low heat just until hot.
- In a medium bowl whisk together egg yolks and sugar until thick and pale, about three minutes.
- Using a ladle or a small measuring cup, scoop a few small amounts of the hot liquid into your egg yolk mixture, whisking constantly. Once you've scooped in enough liquid for the yolks to become warm (about three scoops), gently whisk the mixture back into your saucepan with the remaining coconut milk, cream, and beer.
- Turn the heat to medium and stir constantly with a wooden spoon until mixture is thick enough to coat the back of the spoon in a thin, creamy layer.
- Transfer through a strainer and into a bowl. Refrigerate until cool, and churn in your ice cream maker to preferred consistency. Freeze until hard and enjoy.