Spent Grain BBQ Burgers
Burgers are as much of a tradition in America as rock and roll, hot rods, and, well, burgers. And while some of us here at the Brew Shop swear by half-pound hunks of beef, bloody and topped with bacon, others prefer less guilt-inducing veggie alternatives.
So, with that in mind, our spent grain chef went to work creating this meatless masterpiece - a burger alternative that's sure to satisfy your cravings without clogging your arteries.
WHAT YOU NEED
- 1 cup spent grain, wet (or Dried Spent Grain re-hydrated with 1/2 cup hot water)
- 1 cup cooked quinoa
- 2 eggs
- 5 tablespoons barbeque sauce
- 3/4 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 cup bread crumbs
- olive oil
WHAT YOU DO
- In a bowl combine spent grain, quinoa, eggs, salt, and barbeque sauce with a fork until eggs are broken up and mixture becomes cohesive. Stir in breadcrumbs.
- Heat a cast-iron or heavy-bottomed skillet over medium heat and add a few tablespoons of olive oil. Because the consistency is so moist, it's helpful to scoop the mixture into the hot skillet, and use a spatula to form into rounds.
- Let cook undisturbed for 5-8 minutes on one side, until bottom is golden brown and the burger can be easily moved. Flip and repeat on the other side. Makes about 8 sliders.
We make all-grain beer brewing kits that make it easy to make beer at home. Whether it's your first batch or your hundredth.