Spent Grain Blueberry Cobbler
Did you know that July is National Blueberry Month? What better way to celebrate than with a delicious and crunchy blueberry cobbler - packed with fresh berries and spent grain from brewing!
Our cobbler has a healthy dose of lemon juice to give it a sweet and sour kick, and a touch of yogurt keeps it tangy and moist. Perfect for serving a crowd at the end of a summer BBQ, or enjoyed alongside a cold brew - we're thinking a Hefeweizen or perhaps a Belgian Lambic or Gueuze.
WHAT YOU NEED
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup Dried Spent Grain
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 stick (4 ounces) cold unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons plain yogurt
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- the zest and juice of one lemon
- 2 1/2 cups fresh blueberries
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
WHAT YOU DO
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees and lighly grease a 9 inch flutted tart pan or a 8 inch square baking dish.
- In a medium bowl, stir together 1/2 cup of the sugar, flour, spent grain, baking powder, and salt. Then mix in half of the lemon zest. Use a pastry blender (or two knives), cut in the butter and blend in the egg and yogurt, combining your dough but keeping it chunky. Press 3/4 of the dough into the bottom and up the sides of your tart pan.
- In a smaller bowl, stir together remaining 1/2 cup sugar, cornstarch, lemon juice, and remaining lemon zest. Gently mix in the blueberries and pour the mixture into your crust in a thin layer. Crumble the remaining 1/4 dough mixture over your berry layer.
- Bake for 40-50 minutes until the top of the tart becomes golden brown, and cool completely before serving.
We make all-grain beer brewing kits that make it easy to make beer at home. Whether it's your first batch or your hundredth.