The perfect bun is the foundation for an amazing burger. Firm enough to hold everything in one place--meat, condiments, sauce--but soft enough to give when you bite into it. Beyond the basics, what we love about our burger bun is that it's made with spent grain, which means the ideal pairing of beer and burgers just became an even better match.
1. In a small saucepan over medium-high heat, heat milk and water until quite warm (~110 degrees)
2. In the bottom of a stand mixer with a dough hook attachment (or large mixing bowl if you will be kneading by hand) combine warm milk mixture and yeast and let stand for 10 minutes
3. Combine flours, sugar and salt in a small bowl. With the mixer on medium-high add in dry ingredients (a third at a time), melted butter and egg yolk. Beat (or turn out onto a floured work surface and knead) for 10 minutes or until dough is smooth and elastic
4. Place dough in an oiled bowl, cover with a clean dish towel and let rise for 1 hour
5. Form dough into 2-3 inch ball and flatten into disks, should make 12 large buns
6. Place disks on a silicone baking mat (or parchment lined baking sheet), if you have ring molds, spray them with cooking oil and place disks inside them on baking sheet, cover with a clean dish towel and let rise a second time for 30 minutes
7. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
8. Brush buns with egg wash and sprinkle with sesame seeds
9. Bake 15 minutes, let cool on drying rack before slicing. Stuff with your favorite burger and enjoy!
We make all-grain beer brewing kits that make it easy to make beer at home. Whether it's your first batch or your hundredth.