Recipe: Spent Grain Cheddar Scones
Ever drink a beer in the morning? Yes? No? That one time at homecoming in college? Well not to worry, with our spent grain scones you can mix breakfast and beer without the guilt.
Packed with cheddar cheese and barley from the latest beer you brewed, these morning treats are a delicious take on the old English standby. For a spicy kick add 1 chopped and seeded jalapeño.
WHAT YOU NEED
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup Spent Grain, dried
- 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons granulated sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cut into pieces
- 1 1/4 cup (6 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1 large egg
WHAT YOU DO
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, stir together flour, spent grain, baking powder, sugar, and salt. With a pastry blender (or using two knives), cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse meal. Stir in the cheese to combine.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the buttermilk and egg. Add it to your dry ingredients, stirring just until the dough comes together.
- Turn the dough out onto a clean surface and gently flatten into an 8-inch round. Use a knife to cut the circle into eight triangles. Transfer scones onto the sheet pan and bake until golden brown, about 20 minutes. Serve hot and with butter!