Spent Grain Chocolate Cherry Scones
We loved our Spent Grain Cinnamon Apple Scones so much that we thought we'd try again, but with a sweeter, chocolate-ier filling this time around. Packed with coarsely chopped bittersweet chocolate and the dried sweet fruit of your choice (cherries, currants, or cranberries), these scones are a perfect on the go breakfast or midday snack.
WHAT YOU NEED
- 1 3/4 cups all purpose flour
- 1 cup Spent Grain Flour
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 8 tablespoons (1 stick) cold butter, cubed
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup yogurt
- 4 ounces bitter-sweet chocolate, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup dried cherries, cranberries or currants, coarsely chopped
WHAT YOU DO
- Combine dry ingredients in mixing bowl. Blend in cold butter with your hands until the mixture resembles coarse meal.
- In a second mixing bowl, whisk egg and vanilla until light and fluffy.
- Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and stir to combine. Fold in yogurt, chocolate and cherries.
- Turn dough onto a floured surface and form into a rectangle (about 3" x 12"). Cut dough in half vertically, and then the halves in half forming 8 squares. Cut each square in half diagonally.
- Chill in freezer for 20 minutes. Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Bake for 25 minutes. Enjoy.
We make all-grain beer brewing kits that make it easy to make beer at home. Whether it's your first batch or your hundredth.