Spent Grain Corn Dog
The only thing better than a hot dog is a hot dog on a stick, dipped in batter, and fried. And now that you can make your own delicious corn dogs whenever you'd like with this spent grain-based cheesy recipe, corn dogs aren't just for the state fair anymore. So grab a beer and some dogs and get to frying!
WHAT YOU NEED
- 3/4 cup Spent Grain Flour
- 3/4 cup yellow cornmeal
- 3 tablespoons grated cheddar cheese
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup kefir or low-fat milk
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 egg, beaten
- 6 hot dogs
- 6 popsicle sticks
- canola oil for frying
WHAT YOU DO
- In a bowl combine spent grain flour, corn meal, cheese, baking powder and salt, stir until well blended. Add in keffir, melted butter and egg, stir until batter is uniform.
Skewer the hot dogs. Using your hands mold batter & dip into the batter to coat.
- In a medium-sized heavy bottomed pot heat your oil to 350 degrees. (Alternatively, your oil is ready when you drop a dollop of beer batter in and it sizzles and cooks instead of sinking to the bottom of the pot.) Slowly submerge into hot oil and cook for 2-3 minutes per side, flipping in between until golden brown.
- Once removed from hot oil, place your corn dogs to drain on a paper towel. Serve hot!
We make all-grain beer brewing kits that make it easy to make beer at home. Whether it's your first batch or your hundredth.