Spent Grain Grapefruit Bars
Give us anything citrus and we're instantly dreaming of spring. Ice-cold lemonade, margaritas doused with lime, and even better, Grapefruit Honey Ale. So what better way to use up the grapefruits we used in making a batch of Grapefruit Honey Ale than to make a variation of a lemon bar?
Reserve some fresh grapefruit juice before you use the rinds in the Grapefruit Honey Ale, and grab that Spent Grain Flour from your pantry to whip up these sugary desserts. You would have never guessed that beer and pastries would go so well together.
WHAT YOU NEED (FOR THE BASE)
- 12 tablespoons (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup Spent Grain Flour
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
WHAT YOU NEED (FOR THE TOPPING)
- 6 large eggs
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 1/4 cups grapefruit juice, fresh squeezed
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
WHAT YOU DO
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Cut butter in 1/2-inch pieces. In a food processor process all ingredients until mixture begins to form small lumps. Sprinkle mixture into 9"x9" baking pan and press evenly onto bottom. Bake 20 minutes.
- While base is baking, whisk together eggs and granulated sugar in a mixing bowl until combined well and stir in grapefruit juice and flour.
- Pour grapefruit mixture over base.
- Reduce oven temperature to 300°F. and bake confection in middle of oven until set, about 30 minutes. Cool completely in pan and cut into 24 bars. Sift confectioners' sugar over bars before serving. Enjoy
We make all-grain beer brewing kits that make it easy to make beer at home. Whether it's your first batch or your hundredth.