Spent Grain Lemon Poppy Seed Muffins
These fresh and zesty lemon poppy seed muffins are like spring in a muffin tin. Made with one cup regular flour and one cup spent grain flour, these muffins have a great heartiness and a light lemony flavor. The addition of yogurt makes for a super soft muffin with a satisfying poppy seed and spent grain crunch. Perfect for an on the go breakfast or an anytime snack.
WHAT YOU NEED
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1 lemon, zested and juiced
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup spent grain flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup plain non fat yogurt
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- 2 tablespoons poppy seeds
WHAT YOU DO
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- In a mixing bowl, blend the sugar and lemon zest together until well combined. Stir in the flours, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- In a second bowl, whisk the yogurt, eggs, vanilla, lemon juice and melted butter together until well blended.
- Add the liquid ingredients to the dry ingredients and stir until just combined. Fold in the poppy seeds.
- Pour the batter evenly into a well greased muffin pan. Bake for 20 minutes. Let cool slightly before removing from pan. Enjoy.
We make all-grain beer brewing kits that make it easy to make beer at home. Whether it's your first batch or your hundredth.