Crispy and salty on the outside and juicy on the inside, fried chicken is one of those irresistible staples of southern cooking that often eludes the everyday cook. Let's face it - a huge pot of sizzling oil can be a little intimidating. In this recipe, we forgo the unnerving quantities of oil in favor of a simple oven-frying method, letting the spent grain do the work in creating a crispy crust. This chicken would be great for a summer picnic or even for a brunch, served alongside a pile of our Spent Grain Waffles.
1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees Fahrenheit.
2. In a small bowl, mix together the spent grain, salt, curry powder, and a pinch of pepper.
3. In another small bowl, whisk together the egg, milk, mustard, and a pinch of salt and pepper.
4. Dip each drumstick in the milk and egg mixture, shaking off excess, then dip into spent grain mixture to cover. Transfer to a non-stick baking sheet.
5. Bake for 30-40 minutes, until cooked through. Enjoy.