Spent Grain Oyster Crackers
Summer isn't complete without a bowl of clam chowder. And no bowl of clam chowder is complete without oyster crackers. Salty and delicious, these crackers are the perfect topping to your favorite chowder, whether it be clam, lobster, corn, or any other soup. These crunchy little treats are a very addicting snack in their own right and couldn't be easier to make. All you need are five basic ingredients you will likely already have in your kitchen and a handful of dried spent grain left over from your last brew day.
WHAT YOU NEED
- 1/2 cup Spent Grain Flour
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt
- 6 tablespoons cold butter, diced
- 1/2 cup milk
WHAT YOU DO
- Using a coffee or spice grinder, process dried spent grain until it becomes a fine flour. Combine in a food processor with remaining dry ingredients. Pulse to incorporate. Add in butter and pulse until the mixture resembles coarse sand. Stream in milk while pulsing until dough just comes together in a ball. Wrap in plastic wrap and chill 20 minutes.
- Divide dough in half and leave the second half in the refrigerator while working. Pre-heat oven to 375 degrees F. Roll out the dough to 1/8" thickness on a floured surface. Cut out crackers using a 1" ring mold (if you have a hexagon cutter all the better) and crimp edges using a fork.
- Brush each cracker with water and sprinkle with sea salt. Bake on a well greased cookie-sheet or baking mat for 7 minutes. Top your favorite chowder or eat by the handful. Repeat with second half of dough. Enjoy.
We make all-grain beer brewing kits that make it easy to make beer at home. Whether it's your first batch or your hundredth.