Spent Grain Graham Crackers
When we were creating our S'more Beer recipe we spent a lot of time trying to figure out what exactly graham flour was - most homemade S'more recipes just called for white flour but graham was actually a mix of white and coarsely ground wheat bran and germ. The coarsely ground part caught our attention and we thought spent grain graham crackers were something we should play around with.
These graham crackers have a fantastic nutty flavor from the barley and almond milk and an almost molasses sweetness from the dark brown sugar. Now we just need to brew up some S'more Beer (and perhaps bake up these beer marshmallows) and find ourselves a campfire.
WHAT YOU NEED
- 2 cups flour
- 1/2 cup of Spent Grain Flour
- 1 cup dark brown sugar, packed
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 7 tablespoons unsalted butter, chilled and cubed
- 3/4 cup agave syrup
- 3 tablespoons almond milk
WHAT YOU DO
- Combine flours, sugar, baking soda and salt in a food processor with a couple pulses.
- Add butter and pulse until mixture resembles a coarse sand
- In a small bowl whisk agave syrup and almond milk (or regular milk and 1 teaspoon almond extract). Add to the food processor and pulse until it forms into a sticky dough. Turn out on floured plastic wrap, form into a 1 inch thick rectangle, wrap and chill for 2 hours.
- On a floured surface roll out dough to 1/8" thickness. Dough is sticky so use flour as needed and/or work with dough in batches keeping the rest chilled. Using a pizza cutter or ravioli press cut out 2" x 2" cookies and place on parchment lined baking sheet. Cookies can be baked plain or topped with cinnamon and sugar. Chill formed cookies for 30 minutes before baking.
- Position oven racks at top and bottom. Preheat to 350 degrees. Bake cookies for 12 minutes swapping racks half way through. Cool on wire racks. Enjoy.
We make all-grain beer brewing kits that make it easy to make beer at home. Whether it's your first batch or your hundredth.