Recipe: Hard Cider Pudding
Beer-filled desserts are a staple at Brooklyn Brew Shop (see Peanut Butter Porter Ice Cream Cake, Spent Grain Spent Grain Macarons and more for examples). We love the complexity that beer lends to crust, chocolate and any sort of sweet. Since we debuted our new Hard Cider Kit this fall, we began experimenting with hard cider in the kitchen, too! Pudding seemed like a great place to start, and this version is spectacular (and simple). It's thick and velvety with butterscotch and apple notes - irresistible to stray spoons on the counter.
What You Need
- 1 1/2 cups light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup water
- 3 cups heavy cream
- 1 cup hard cider
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 2 eggs
- 3 egg yolks
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 tablespoons butter
What You Do
- In a medium saucepan over medium-high heat combine sugar and water, heat until sugar is completely melted and bubbles form at edges. Add heavy cream and cider whisking constantly. Heat until mixture comes just to a boil and reduce to a simmer.
- In a bowl, stir cornstarch, eggs, and salt until well combined. Add 1/3 of the sugar-cream mixture to the egg mixture whisking constantly.
- Whisk in an additional 1/3 of the sugar-cream mixture, then return to stove and combine.
- Add in butter and heat over medium-high heat stirring constantly until mixture thickens.
- Transfer to serving bowls and chill at least 4 hours or overnight. Enjoy!